Sunday 14 August 2016

First Lecture & Saturday Workshop

After going through the first lecture, CS3216 seems to be what I was expecting, in terms of what we are going to learn and in terms of the pace and workload. My group was formed on the first day and we were already meeting and brainstorming on the second day.

After my group looked through the Facebook Graph API, we realised our chosen idea would be severely limited by permissions required from users, so we had to rethink and try to change the angle of our idea to make use of the limited data we had access to. I didn't realise that the Facebook API had become so restrictive, but I could understand why from a user's point of view. However, it feels extremely restrictive as a developer trying to bring value to an app user, as there is not much data we can access. Facebook, on the other hand, still has access to all that data and can build apps with it. Hmmm...

Anyway, we managed to get feedback from our tutors and decided to go ahead with our idea.

I also attended the workshop on Saturday. I thought Prof. Damith had a point about tech people not giving very good presentations in general. His tips were interesting and not something I had heard of previously. Following that, our tutor Sam's tutorial on setting up a AWS server went smoothly for me. It was quite easy to follow.

Also the pizza was really good. :D

Looking forward to finally attending a lecture by the famous Prof Ben later today. O:

1 comment:

  1. Hence the module name has "Evolving Platforms" in it. What works before might not work in the following year, and this is very evident in tech industry too :P

    Glad to know that you enjoyed the workshop! I think Prof Ben and Jonathan Low's talk yesterday was highly inspiring (I actually Google Hangout-ed in) and I learnt some stuff from it too. I'll let Sam know about the good choice of pizza :D

    ReplyDelete